Australia Floods – level 3
Hundreds of millimeters of rain fell in parts of Australia´s New South Wales over a single night, causing severe flooding and the evacuation of thousands of residents.
Rivers have burst their banks, dams have overflowed, and many houses have been flooded. Local surfers rode the Forster-Tuncurry breakwall that is usually calm; however, it´s been turned into a muddy brown color. The floods have also been devastating for animals with local groups being set up to help rescue livestock.
Sydney has been inundated with heavy rain and many residents of the city´s western suburbs have been evacuated. The Warragamba Dam, Sydney´s main water supply, spilled over, and it caused river levels to surge, affecting the low-lying areas. Australia´s Bureau of Meteorology is warning that the rain will continue to lash the state for several days.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.