Australia floods – level 3
Heavy rain from former Tropical Cyclone Jasper has led to severe floods in Northeast Australia, isolating several towns.
Queensland experienced record-breaking rain, causing widespread flash flooding. The flooding is described as the worst in memory by Premier Steven Miles. In Ingham, a town of 5,000, officials captured a crocodile in a storm drain. The Gateway town to the Great Barrier Reef, with over 150,000 residents, received triple the December average rainfall in 40 hours. More rain is forecasted, with major flood warnings issued. Thousands have evacuated, and power outages affect over 14,000 properties. Prime Minister Anthony Albanese mentioned Defense Forces are on standby for rescue efforts. Australia faces extreme weather, with the Northeast battling floods while the Southeast is on Bushfire alert.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What measures are being taken by Australian officials to address the severe flooding in Northeast Australia caused by Tropical Cyclone Jasper?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.