Australia will vote on Indigenous people – level 3
Australia is set to hold a referendum on October 14 to decide whether to amend the constitution to acknowledge Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. This marks a crucial step in the struggle for Indigenous rights.
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese termed it a once-in-a-generation opportunity to unify the nation. The referendum seeks support for adding a Voice to Parliament, and an Indigenous committee offered advice on matters affecting these communities. Public opinion has varied, with some seeing it as a means to mend ties and prioritize Indigenous well-being, while others fear division and excessive power.
Former Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull and diverse groups back the Yes campaign, but the No stance is also supported. Australia has a history of challenging referendums, making this a significant and debated initiative.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What opinion do you have about the referendum to amend the constitution in Australia and why?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.