Baby elephant at Berlin Zoo – level 2
This month, an elephant was born in the Berlin Zoo. The birth came earlier than zookeepers expected, but everything went fine.
The baby elephant is a girl and people have not named her yet. She weighs 100 kilograms which is not much for a baby elephant. This is because she was born early.
She is one of the zoo’s seven Asian elephants. There are six African elephants at the zoo, too.
Asian elephants are endangered because people kill them for their tusks and destroy the places where they live.
Difficult words: expect (if you expect something, you think that it is going to happen), endangered (at risk of dying out), tusk (one of the elephant’s two long “teeth”).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you like the baby elephant?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos