Baby elephant in Dallas – level 1
Swaziland is a country in the south of Africa. It is very dry there. This is dangerous for elephants. People move 17 elephants to the USA.
One of the elephants is pregnant. The baby is born at the Dallas Zoo this month. He is 91 centimetres tall. He is 79 kilograms heavy.
The zoo releases a video of the baby elephant. People want to see the baby. They must wait. He must spend some time with his mother.
Difficult words: dry (when there is not enough rain), pregnant (to have a baby inside the body), release (to show to people).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos