Baby elephant in Dallas – level 2
This year, at least 17 elephants came to American zoos from Swaziland. Experts were afraid that the elephants would die there because of extreme drought.
One of the elephants was pregnant, and her baby was born at the Dallas Zoo on May 14th. The baby elephant measures 91 centimetres and weighs 79 kilograms. The zoo released a video of him in the pen.
The public is very excited to see the little elephant, but they must wait a few months. The baby elephant must spend some time with his mother first.
Difficult words: drought (when the weather is very dry), pen (an animal’s area in a zoo or farm).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos