Baby Elephant is Born – level 2
An Asian elephant calf was born at Chester Zoo in the UK. The rest of the herd came to greet the calf. A camera filmed all of this.
This was a great moment for the herd, and Asian elephants in general. Asian elephants are endangered because of disease, loss of living space, and conflicts with humans.
Conservationists from the zoo are working in India. They want to protect elephants and the people who live with them. The zoo hopes that the elephant calf will teach people about elephants and why they are in danger.
Difficult words: calf (a baby animal such as an elephant, a cow, or a whale), herd (a group of animals such as elephants or cows), conservationist (someone who protects something).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.