Baby Elephant is Born – level 3
Video footage captured the moment a rare Asian elephant calf was born at Chester Zoo, UK. She was born to 12-year-old Sundara.
The rest of the herd immediately came to greet the calf, including one-year-old half-sister Nandita, who witnessed a birth for the first time. The baby was on her feet within minutes.
This was a great occasion for the herd and the Asian elephant species in general as it boosts the world breeding programme. Asian elephants are endangered due to disease, habitat loss, and direct conflicts with humans.
Conservationists from the zoo have been working in India to protect elephants and the people that live with them. The zoo hopes that the elephant calf will raise awareness of the species and their threats.
Difficult words: herd (a group of animals), boost (increase), world breeding programme (breeding animals throughout the world), habitat (where something lives).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.