Baby Needs an Operation on Her Legs – level 1
Victoria is a baby. She cannot walk because her legs do not have all the bones. This is very unusual. Her parents are very sad.
Before she is born, they go to a hospital for a check-up. Everything looks perfect. They expect a healthy baby. Her mother is in a big shock when she sees her daughter for the first time.
Now UK doctors want to amputate Victoria’s legs. Her parents try to collect 350 thousand pounds. They want to take their daughter to America. They want to pay for special operations to save her legs. Only a doctor in the US can help.
The girl needs three operations. She needs the operations before she is two years old.
The parents collect around a hundred thousand pounds. Friends and family help, too. The parents need the money before June. In June, Victoria will be two years old.
Difficult words: check-up (an examination), expect (wait), amputate (take away some part of a body).
You can watch the video news in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos