Baby Needs an Operation on Her Legs – level 2
Victoria was born with a deformity on her legs. She cannot walk because her legs have no calf bones. This deformity is very unusual.
Her parents were really shocked. Her mother said that when she saw her baby for the first time she was surprised. She expected a full, healthy baby because on every scan, the doctors said that she was perfect.
Now UK doctors told Victoria’s parents that the only option is to amputate their little girl’s legs. Her parents are now trying to collect 350 thousand pounds to take their daughter to America for a life-changing operation. They want to save her legs. They found a doctor in the US who could do this.
There will be three operations. These operations cannot be done in Britain and must be done before she is two years old.
The couple collected around a hundred thousand pounds. Friends and family are trying to collect the rest of the money. They need the money before June when Victoria is two years old.
Difficult words: deformity (something unusual about how the body grows), calf (a part of a leg between the knee and the ankle), amputate (remove), scan (a picture of inside of something).
You can watch the video news in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos