Baby orangutan is saved – level 3
This is Budi, a baby orangutan currently in intensive care at a rescue centre, after suffering months of starvation and neglect.
For the first year of his life, Budi was kept in a chicken cage and fed entirely on condensed milk. The milk provided basically no nourishment for him, causing his bones to become malformed in his tiny body, which is bloated with fluid from malnutrition.
Budi is too frail to move or sit up on his own. He is fed from a bottle and has to be propped up on blankets and pillows.
When vets from British Animal Welfare Charity International Animal Rescue found Budi, they found him lonely, sick and afraid.
The vets have been nursing Budi back from the brink of death after he became victim of the illegal trade in primates in Indonesia.
They have said from now on, he will be given expert care and the best possible chance to return one day to his home in the forest.
Difficult words: suffer (to have pain), starvation (to have pain from eating very little food), neglect (when nobody helps you if you need help), nourishment (food which you need to be alive), mal- (badly), tiny (very small), frail (weak), prop up (to support), brink of death (the condition of almost being dead), victim (a person or animal which someone hurts), primate (a type of animal like a monkey or an ape), the best possible chance (when it is likely something will happen).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.