Baby seal is lost – level 3
This baby seal was found wailing and roaming around a quayside in Sweden after it lost its way and ended up in the town’s harbour.
The little thing was greeted by curious residents who filmed it, as it rolled around on the harbour’s steps.
A local wild animal expert said that a mother seal abandons her pups when they are just two to three weeks old.
They are left on sheets of ice to live off their fat until their bodies have produced the right fur to allow them to start hunting on their own.
When the pups have the right fur, they jump into the sea and begin to hunt for fish, which they are programmed to do so they don’t miss their mothers. Looks like this little one had enough and bravely headed back out to sea.
Difficult words: wail (to cry a long high sound because you’re sad), roam (to move with no clear direction), quayside (area where boats can stop), abandon (leave), pup (young animal), sheet (unbroken area of something), fur (short fine hair of an animal).
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.