Baby Tiger – level 3
A teenager from California, USA, tried to smuggle a Bengal tiger cub less than 6 weeks old into the USA. He said that he bought it in the streets of Tijuana in Mexico for $300.
Since Mexico’s law changed in 2015, circuses in the country have been offloading exotic animals. Police arrested the teen and he now faces up to 20 years in prison if people find him guilty.
People took the little Bengal tiger to San Diego Zoo Safari Park. It currently weighs around 3 kilograms. According to the World Wildlife Foundation, there are only 2,500 Bengal tigers left in the wilds of India, China, Bhutan, Bangladesh and Myanmar.
Difficult words: smuggle (move something illegally; usually people try to hide something when they smuggle it), cub (a baby of a cat).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos