Back on Twitter – level 3
Elon Musk, the CEO of SpaceX, Tesla and Twitter, is deciding which controversial figures will be allowed to return on the social media platform.
Twitter has reactivated the account of psychologist Jordan Peterson; he was suspended for refusing to apologize for a transphobic comment. Similarly, rapper Kanye West returned after an anti-semitic post. Several platforms banned influencer Andrew Tate for sharing misogynistic content.
Musk also announced that he would lift former President Donald Trump’s ban. Trump’s account was permanently suspended after the Capitol riot. Musk ran a Twitter poll in which almost 52% of 15 million people voted for Trump’s return.
Musk refused to allow Infowars host Alex Jones to return to Twitter. The conspiracy theorist repeatedly claimed that the Sandy Hook school shooting was a hoax; 20 children and six adults died in that event.
While some people are back on Twitter, others are fleeing the platform, including Whoopi Goldberg, Stephen Fry, and Gigi Hadid.
Difficult words: transphobic (a dislike of transsexual or transgender people), misogynistic (hate for women or belief that men are better than women), hoax (a trick or plan to deceive a large group of people).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.