Bad weather in China – level 3
At least 10 people have died and 19 have been left seriously injured after a landslide hit parts of southern China.
Nine vehicles were crushed in the disaster which struck China’s Sichuan Province on Thursday afternoon.
Dirt, dust and debris spilled across a busy highway, as stones hit trucks and seven cars.
Those injured were taken to a local hospital and rescue work is currently underway.
Over the past week, heavy flooding and landslides have killed 45 people in southern China. The Ministry of Civil Affairs said nearly 9,300 houses have collapsed in the rains and a further 63,000 homes have been damaged.
The region is also bracing itself for the arrival of Typhoon Rammasun, which struck the Philippines earlier this week with winds of up to 90 miles per hour (145 kilometres per hour).
Difficult words: disaster (very terrible event where a lot of bad things happen), debris (pieces of something that has been destroyed), underway (being carried out), brace (to get ready for something).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.