Bad weather in Europe – level 2
In France heavy rain caused flooding.
Bad weather hit the French Open in Paris for a second day. A prison in the centre of the country had to evacuate. On the Franco-Belgian border, 6 weeks’ worth of rain fell in just 24 hours. Many villages are underwater.
People called emergency services 4,500 times across the country and hundreds of evacuations happened.
The bad weather caused more than floods. Lightning injured 11 people in a Paris park – most of them were children. Lightning also killed a man in southern Poland while he was going down a mountain.
Difficult words: flooding (when water leaves lakes or rivers and flows onto land), worth of (equal in amount to), lightning (electricity from the sky).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.