Baltic countries are scared of Russia – level 2
In the past, Russia was in the Soviet Union, which was a superpower just like the US. At one time, the Soviet Union had 15 republics, including Ukraine and Belarus.
The Soviet Union collapsed in 1991, but Russia tried to get some parts of it again. Now, Russia is trying to get Ukraine again. Some countries worry that are close to Russia; they worry that Russia could attack them in the future, too. For example, they are the Baltic countries.
The Baltic countries are three small countries between Russia and Belarus. They are Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia. Some people already contacted their families and friends in other countries, as they worry that Russia will attack them. If it happens, the US and other countries will help them because they are part of the EU and NATO, and NATO members defend each other.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.