Baltic countries are scared of Russia – level 3
For countries that neighbor Russia, the war in Ukraine feels very close, and they wonder if they’re next.
In the past, the Soviet Union was an equal to the US as a global superpower. At its height, it dominated Eastern Europe, and it encompassed 15 republics. The Soviet Union fell in 1991, and Russian president Vladimir Putin then called it a catastrophe. Since that time, Russia tried to reoccupy some of its previous territories, for example, Crimea and Ukraine.
Among the most concerned are the small Baltic countries of Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia. They are squeezed between Russia and Belarus, and they have a long and painful history of Russian occupation. Unlike Ukraine, the three Baltic nations have been part of the EU and NATO. If Russia ever invades them, the US and other allies will come to defend them.
Difficult words: dominate (to have power and influence over someone or something), encompass (to include), ally (a group that formally cooperates with another for a military or other purpose).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos