Barbados becomes a republic – level 2
Last week, the Caribbean island of Barbados became the newest republic in the world.
After 400 years, the island had its own first government. The country was a British colony in the past, and 200 years ago, it was a center of slave trade in the Atlantic. In 1834, slavery formally ended in Barbados, and in 1966, the country became fully independent.
Dame Sandra Mason became the first president of Barbados, and she replaced Queen Elizabeth II, who was the leader before her. Prince Charles was a special guest at a ceremony in the capital city of Bridgetown. He said that he was sorry for what happened to people in Barbados in the past.
Difficult words: colony (a country which is under the control of another country, and people from the other country come to live there), slave trade (keeping, transporting, and selling people usually from Africa to Europe and North America), slavery (the system of keeping Black people by people in Europe and North America as slaves).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.