Barbies and Gender – level 1
In 1959, Mattel makes the Barbie doll. The Barbie doll has many styles. However, its body shape is too skinny. People say that Barbie makes children think they need to be skinny.
However, Mattel makes a new and very different line of dolls. Children can pick if the doll is a boy, a girl, or something else. They can pick its hair and skin colors. They can pick its clothing and accessories.
Mattel also makes a doll with a fake leg. It also makes a doll in a wheelchair.
Mattel says that it works with doctors, parents, and children. They help Mattel make a more realistic doll.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.