Bats in Australia – level 1
This news is from New South Wales in Australia. More than 100,000 bats come to a town. This is a problem. The bats make everything dirty. They cause power outages. Tourists do not want to visit the town.
The government wants to help the people there. The bats must not be killed. The bats are protected by laws. People cut down trees to make them go away. They also use smoke and noise.
Difficult words: cause (to make something happen), power outage (when there is no electricity), government (the leaders of the country).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos