Bats in Australia – level 2
More than 100,000 bats sparked a state of emergency in a town in New South Wales, Australia. The bats are causing power outages and they are making everything dirty. They are keeping tourists away and they are hurting property prices.
The government promised to give 2 million dollars to solve the problem. However, the bats are a vulnerable species, so killing them is not an option. People are thinking of other ways to make the bats go away. They are thinking about using smoke, noise and cutting down trees.
Difficult words: spark (to start quickly), vulnerable (in danger), species (an animal kind).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos