Battle in London – level 3
You can see some pretty strange things on a London commute – but not since the Middle Ages has the city seen anything quite like this. In the shadow of Tower Bridge today, 125 noble knights did battle in the name of the Red King.
“I am the one king. The only king! The true king!”
The battle was to promote Clash of Kings – a real-time strategy game for iOS and Android devices. In it, players battle to build an empire, defeating enemies to retain control of their kingdoms. And today the Red King did just that, claiming victory over this monstrous opposition as confused tourists and commuters looked on.
“We’re from the US and this is our first day in London. We never thought we’d see anything like this.”
“This isn’t what Londoners normally do in parks, is it?”
Certainly not, but it was all in a day’s work for these men, many of whom are professional battle re-enactors and most of whom survived the battle unscathed.
“Yeah, a slip here and there. Bit of a hip gone, but apart from that, yeah, I survived. And now enjoying a beer.”
Never has a beer been quite so hard-won!
Difficult words: commute (the everyday journey to work/school), retain (to keep), opposition (forces against you), unscathed (not hurt).
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos