Battle of Britain – level 2
80 years ago, one of the most important battles of World War II happened.
In summer 1940, the German Nazi leader, Adolf Hitler, planned to attack Britain. However, his plans changed after a battle with British Royal Air Force. The battle happened only in the air, and 1,497 people died during the fight.
This week, four historic planes flew over central London to remember this important event. There was a ceremony at Westminster Abbey, too. Usually, more than 2,000 people attend the ceremony; however, only 100 guests attended it this year. The reason were strict government rules to stop the spread of the coronavirus. It was the first big event at Westminster Abbey since the coronavirus started.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.