BB King is dead – level 3
The King of Blues, guitarist and singer BB King, has died at the age of 89. BB King took the blues from rural juke joints to the mainstream and influenced a generation of rock guitarists from Eric Clapton to Stevie Ray Vaughan.
He was best known for his hits “My Lucille,” “Sweet Little Angel” and “Rock Me, Baby” and will be forever linked with the Gibson Guitars he named Lucille. Rolling Stone Magazine placed him behind only Jimi Hendrix and Duane Allman in its list of the 100 greatest guitarists of all-time, and until recently, King performed in at least a hundred concerts a year.
He was recently taken to hospital with a diabetes-related illness and earlier this month posted on Facebook that he was in hospice care at his home. He died in his sleep in Las Vegas.
Difficult words: rural (far away from big cities), juke joint (pub that plays music), influence (to change something or to inspire somebody), hospice care (care for people who are going to die soon).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.