Be Safe around Trains! – level 3
The British Transport Police released frightening footage of people dicing with death by level crossings.
In the first clip, a pedestrian in Scotland casually walks around a crossing with two half barriers quite clearly in place. He reaches safety in seconds before a train goes through. Another clip shows a barrier crossing coming down and knocking a cyclist off his bike after he had seemed to ignore a warning light in England. A third video shows a driver finding herself on the rail track after the barriers had come down. She then drives backwards and forwards, trying to get to safety.
Those involved in the footage were all very lucky not to be hurt, but the female driver was fined and given six points on her licence. A campaign called Operation Look released the clips to raise awareness. British Transport Police and Network Rail launched the campaign.
Difficult words: dice with death (put yourself in a very dangerous situation), pedestrian (a person who is walking), fine (make somebody pay for doing something illegal), launch (start).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos