Beach at an Office – level 3
A venture company in Tokyo transformed its workplace into a beach to lure employees, visitors, and potential clients into believing that life can be a beach at work.
There is the sound of waves and the crunch of sand beneath your feet. These are not the sensations that you expect to have at the office!
By using a carpet of sand, speakers, and a 3D projector, the firm made a tropical beach in the reception area that it also uses as an employee meeting space and staff lounge. One employee said that the sound of the waves soothed her and helped her work. Others who used the space joked that they feel like they have already gone off on holiday.
The water, waves and sea life are not real, but the sand is, as the firm brought in two tonnes of it.
Difficult words: venture company (a company which is involved in a risky business), lure (attract), life can be a beach (this phrase is two things: it means that life is very nice, but it is also a joke because it sounds like the saying ‘life is a bitch’), crunch (a sound and an interesting feeling), sensation (a physical feeling), sooth (relax).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.