Beached whale in Australia – level 1
A whale gets stuck on a beach in Australia. The whale is still a baby. It is between 15 and 20 tonnes heavy.
People try to save it, but it is not easy. They put water on the whale. They build a tent above it. They want to move the whale into the water, but the rope breaks. This happens five times. Finally, people get a special harness. A boat moves the whale into the water.
Difficult words: stuck (it cannot move), rope (line), harness (ropes which you put around an animal or a thing to be able to move it).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Why do whales get beached?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos