Beached whale in Australia – level 3
A baby humpback whale that was stranded on a beach on Australia’s Gold Coast for two days has been freed in a dramatic rescue.
Staff from Sea World saved the creature after it became stuck on Palm Beach, south of Brisbane, on Tuesday.
Rescuers tried to free the baby whale, who weighs between 15 and 20 tonnes, after the tow rope repeatedly snapped, drawing in hundreds of onlookers.
Volunteers even put up tents to cover the whale for shade and kept it wet until they tried to free it again.
After five attempts, a special harness allowed a motorboat to pull the whale off the beach and back into the sea.
Despite the traumatic time for the little whale, Sea World staff is hopeful it will survive.
Difficult words: strand (to be stuck), creature (animal), tow rope (rope that pulls very heavy things), snap (to break), harness (set of straps which are put on an animal), traumatic (lots of problems).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos