Beagles are set free – level 3
In what has been called the “summer of freedom”, one of the biggest beagle rescues in US history has taken place. Thirty-eight little beagles from five labs across 11 different states have been freed. The Beagle Freedom Project’s video shows the dogs from the moment they are released from their cages to adjusting to their new lives.
The dogs had never been able to enjoy the normal, simple pleasures of a dog’s life, so playing outdoors and the feel of grass on their paws is a whole new experience.
Despite various ‘animal industry’ obstacles, the team quietly secured the release of dozens of the ‘purpose-bred for research’ beagles, after the labs deemed them ‘experimentally spent.’ Instead of being put to sleep, as per normal procedure, the adorable pups got a second chance at a happy life with a real family.
Difficult words: adjust (to get used to something), paw (an animal’s foot), dozens (a lot), deem (to consider), put to sleep (to kill an animal painlessly), as per (in accordance with).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.