Beauty Contest in Paraguay – level 3
The country of Paraguay held its fourth annual beauty contest for plus-size women to send a message that ‘beauty does not have a size’. The women competed for the title of ‘Miss Gordita’ which in English means ‘Miss Chubby’, and the contestants strutted in evening gowns or swimsuits just like in any other pageant.
This year, 20-year-old Gabriela Venialgo won the title and tiara. She said that she would wear the tiara proudly in her name and in her country’s name.
Difficult words: annual (happening every year), strut (walk and show something off), gowns (a long elegant dress), pageant (a ceremony where people dress up), tiara (a small crown that people sometimes use to show that you won in a contest).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.