Beauty icon with Down’s syndrome – level 2
A woman from England became the first woman with Down’s syndrome to star in a beauty campaign. She tells everybody that people with disabilities can have abilities, like she does.
Thirty-two-year-old Katie was born with heart problems. She had to fight her heart problems as well as bullying, but she managed to compete in the Special Olympics and now she is a beauty icon.
The company that chose her says it didn’t choose Katie because of her health problems, but because of her attitude. Her motto is that beauty belongs to everybody.
Difficult words: disability (problem), ability (something that you ca do), bully (to do something bad to somebody who is weaker than you; bullying often happens at school), compete (to take part in something and to try to win), attitude (the way you feel and think about things).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos