Beetles in a small town – level 2
Millions of beetles invaded a small town of Santa Isabel in Argentina.
Experts said that the reason was weather for why there were so many beetles. There were heavy rains, which were not usual for this time of year. At the same time, it was very hot, and temperatures reached nearly 40 degrees Celsius. Such weather was perfect for the bugs, and they reproduced in large numbers. They developed in the ground, but then, they came to the town because the streetlights attracted them.
Local authorities turned off the street lights at night, and after a few days, the number of beetles decreased. The beetles did not bite or sting, but they had a hard shell. They could hurt people when they were flying around, so authorities advised people to cover their faces.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.