Beirut Explosion – level 1
Beirut is the capital city of Lebanon. On Tuesday, a big explosion happens in Beirut. The explosion happens in the port. At first, nobody knows what makes the explosion. Some media say that a fireworks warehouse explodes.
However, later, officials have more information. Officials say that a warehouse of chemicals explodes. It seems that the warehouse is not safe. People in the warehouse do not keep the chemicals well.
The explosion kills more than 100 people. Hundreds of people end up in hospital. Many people say that the explosion breaks their windows. It destroys many houses. The explosion affects the whole city.
Difficult words: port (a place where ships go to do trade), warehouse (a building where people keep things), destroy (to break something into so many parts that you cannot fix it), affect (to make a big change).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos