Belarus Election – level 2
Alexander Lukashenko is a leader of Belarus, and he is considered the last dictator in Europe. He has been the president of Belarus since 1994, and this week, he won his sixth election.
Thousands of people filled the streets of the capital city, Minsk, and many other cities. People protested against the result of the election, and they said that officials manipulated the results. Lukashenko won over 80% of the votes. The opposition leader, Svetlana Tikhanovskaya, said that she had different information.
Tikhanovskaya is and English teacher, and she is not a skilled politician. Eight members of her staff ended up in prison last weekend.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.