Benches made from fallen trees – level 3
A designer from Sao Paolo is working with the city, making use of fallen trees to turn them into furniture to line the city’s parks, streets, and plazas. More than 1,700 trees fell over the rainy season, as lightning and high winds left the city wondering what to do with all the wood strewn throughout the city.
So they asked artists and residents to find ways to make use of the fallen trees. And one artist, Hugo Franca, answered the call. Franca’s been carving huge benches, furniture and play equipment out of the trees.
“We worked with the city and made use of all of the waste in the urban area, and through this process, worked the wood, the tree, given its shape, the organic formation and textures, and with this created a sculptured piece of furniture using all the residue in the city of Sao Paolo.”
Several of his creations are already being used as sustainable art furniture and residents come to them to sit and relax, have a chat or read as they enjoy the day.
Difficult words: plaza (an open area for people to relax in), strew-strewn (past participle; when pieces of something are thrown about), resident (a person who lives somewhere), answer the call (to help with a problem), huge (very big), urban (city), organic formation (natural state), residue (leftover things), texture (how something feels), sustainable (reusable and long-lasting).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.