Berlin aquarium burst – level 3
A huge aquarium burst in the center of a Berlin hotel, and one million liters of water poured from the 25-meter-high AquaDom onto a major road in the busy Mitte district.
People speculated frigid temperatures cracked the tank and contributed to the leak; however, German police said they were still investigating the cause of the incident.
Glass and debris swept out of the Radisson Blu, and according to police, splinters of glass injured people after the explosion. Around 300 guests and employees evacuated from the hotel.
Before the incident, the aquarium was home to 1,500 tropical fish, and all of them sadly died. Fortunately, the incident happened at 5:45 am when hardly anyone was in the immediate vicinity.
Difficult words: splinter (a small sharp piece of wood, glass, or similar material), vicinity (the area near a particular place).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos