Big Ben must be repaired – level 2
Big Ben is a famous symbol of London and England. It is 156 years old, and people last repaired it in 1976.
Big Ben is in disrepair and must be repaired. Politicians say that the repairs will cost up to 40 million pounds. Also, Big Ben would be shut down for 4 months.
The costs include a visitor centre at the bottom of the tower and a lift.
Difficult words: disrepair (in bad condition), politician (a person who works in politics), shut down (to close).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about Big Ben?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.