Big Chicken in Russia – level 1
A Russian artist in Siberia makes a big sculpture. This sculpture is a rooster. It is made out of manure.
The rooster is 11-feet high. The artist wants to celebrate the Chinese new year. He uses a simple technology. He makes a metal structure and puts the manure on it.
This is teamwork because this artist has a problem. He has a problem with his leg. He needs an operation. His brothers come and help him.
The rooster is ready on New Year’s Eve. It welcomes the year 2017.
The Chinese zodiac is a 12-year cycle. Every year has a symbol of an animal. The year of the rooster begins on January 28th.
The artist makes statues of other symbols, too. He makes a monkey and a goat and also many horses. Many people hope that this artist makes more animals in the future.
Difficult words: sculpture (a statue), rooster (a cock, a father of a chicken), manure (animal droppings), New Year’s Eve (31st December- the last day of the year), zodiac (symbols of things which represent months or years).
You can watch the video news in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.