Big Chicken in Russia – level 2
A Russian sculptor in Siberia created a giant sculpture of a rooster. He made it out of manure.
The rooster is 11-feet high. The artist created the sculpture to celebrate the Chinese zodiac year. He used a simple technology. He made a metal frame and then put the manure on it.
This was teamwork. The artist had a leg injury and he needed surgery. His brothers came and helped, so the piece was ready on New Year’s Eve to welcome the year 2017.
The Chinese zodiac is a 12-year cycle. An animal symbolises each year. The year of the rooster begins on January 28th. The artist made statues of other Chinese New Year symbols in the past. He made a monkey and a goat and also many horse figures. Many people hope that the artist will make many more pieces like this.
Difficult words: rooster (a cock, a male chicken), manure (animal droppings), zodiac (symbols of things that represent months or years), injury (an accident), surgery (an operation).
You can watch the video news in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.