Big Chicken in Russia – level 3
A Russian sculptor made a giant sculpture of a rooster out of manure in the far region of Yakutsk in Siberia. He created it to celebrate the Chinese zodiac year.
He made the 11-feet high rooster by using a simple technology. He created a metal frame and then put the manure on the cast.
A leg injury hampered the sculptor’s work. This required surgery only a week earlier, so his brothers helped him to finish the piece so that it was ready to be unveiled on New Year’s Eve to welcome in the year 2017.
The Chinese zodiac is based on a 12-year cycle with each year relating to an animal. The year of the rooster begins on January 28th.
The artist has made statues of other Chinese New Year symbols in the past, including one of a monkey and one of a goat, as well as a number of horse figures. This really seems like quite the movement and many people hope that the artist will continue to release many more pieces like this.
Difficult words: rooster (a cock, a male chicken), manure (animal droppings), hamper (be in the way, make problems), cast (hard material that some sculptures are made of), unveil (show for the first time), movement (ideas in art).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.