Big Evacuation in Germany – level 3
Bomb disposal experts in Germany defused a massive WW2 bomb nicknamed ‘Blockbuster’. The bomb was one of thousands dropped by the Royal Air Force from Britain during the war.
The unexploded 1.8-tonne bomb forced an evacuation within a 1.5-kilometre radius, ruining the day for about 60,000 people in Frankfurt. Hospital patients were most affected by what is Germany’s biggest evacuation in recent years.
One bomb disposal expert said that people first moved to the fuses and then the detonators, which were tricky, as any chemical reaction could have detonated the bomb.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.