Big fire in Canada – level 3
A three-alarm fire ripped through an industrial complex in Ontario, Canada, in the early hours of Saturday morning.
Sending fireballs into the night sky and producing smoke that affected residents from as far as the mountain area, the blaze erupted around midnight when cylinders filled with flammable liquids exploded.
About 75 firefighters and 24 fire trucks were called to the scene. Fire fighters arrived to find a “heavy volume of fire” ripping through the building, and immediately upgraded it to three alarms. Residents in a several-block radius around the scene were temporarily evacuated.
The 100-year old building housed several auto body shops and many cars inside were damaged. Some firefighters were treated for heat exhaustion but no other injuries were reported.
Difficult words: three-alarm fire (a fire where something serious happened), rip (move quickly and destroy), fireball (fire in the shape of a ball), blaze (fire), cylinder (container with circular ends), temporarily (only for a short period of time), auto body shop (shop which repairs the outer parts of a car), heat exhaustion (being exhausted/extremely tired because of the heat).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.