Big fire in Melbourne – level 1
This news is from Melbourne. There is a fire. 1,500 tyres are on fire. The black smoke from the fire goes for miles. Firemen evacuate the people in the area.
One hundred firemen fight the fire. They use many fire trucks. Helicopters help, too.
People want to know what started the fire. People do not think that a person started it.
Difficult words: tyre (rubber which is around a wheel – a round thing that helps cars or trucks move), evacuate (to go away because of a danger).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think started the fire?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos