Big Sandcastle in Germany – level 3
What happens if your childhood summer dream like building sandcastles gets bigger and bigger as you grow up? You build a 14-metre sandcastle, of course.
For weeks, international artists worked on their sandcastle, piling up tons of sand and carving fine details into the giant sculpture. One artist said that the build was not plain sailing after parts of it came down after just one week, but the team decided to carry on working.
Visitors came to Germany to see the castle being built and judged by the Guinness World Record officials. The officials confirmed that the current record stood at 13.97 metres and the new sandcastle measured in at 14.15 metres.
However, there was a problem. The artists forgot parts of wood in the castle which they used during the build, and according to the Guinness World Records, a sandcastle can only consist of sand and water. Therefore, they did not set a new Guinness World Record on that day.
Difficult words: pile up (to put things on top of each other), carve (cut to produce a design), plain sailing (smooth and easy progress in a process or activity).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos