Big Ship Blocks the Suez Canal – level 3
Last week, the Ever Given, a Panama-flagged 224,000-ton ship that carried cargo between Asia and Europe, wedged across Egypt’s Suez Canal.
According to reports, the container vessel ran into trouble when it was overcome by strong winds and a sandstorm that caused low visibility and poor navigation. Efforts to move the skyscraper-sized ship aside using dredgers, digging, and the aid of high tides continued for several days. At least 150 other vessels needing to pass through the crucial waterway idled, waiting for the obstruction to clear.
It’s estimated that the blockage could cost global trade almost 10 billion dollars a day. According to officials, dislodging the vessel could take days to weeks because it was impossible to free the ship with its current cargo on board.
Difficult words: wedge (to be in a narrow space), dredger (a boat that has a special machine that is used to increase the size of rivers and canals), crucial (very important), idle (to spend time doing nothing).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.