Big Snake in Florida – level 1
People find a big snake in a preserve in southern Florida. It is 5 metres long and 64 kilograms heavy. It is a female python. Pythons are not normally that big there. They are usually only two to three metres long.
The python comes from Southeast Asia. It lives in Florida because of people. Sometimes people get the snake as a pet. If the snakes get too big, people let them go into the wild.
The python is an invasive species for Florida. There is no animal that eats it. People try to take many pythons out of the wild there.
Difficult words: preserve (a protected place for wild plants and animals), female (‘woman’), python (a big snake which kills animals with its big body, not by biting them), invasive species (an animal or plant that comes from somewhere else and takes over a new place to live).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.