Biggest flying animals – level 2
There is a new exhibition at a New York museum. It is about pterosaurs.
Pterosaurs were not related to bats, nor to birds. They were closely related to dinosaurs, but they were not dinosaurs. They were a unique group. These animals lived 66 million years ago. They were the first animals with backbones to evolve powered flight. They were really unique in that way.
They were also the largest flying animals we know of right now. Some of the pterosaurs had wing spans up to ten meters across!
Difficult words: backbone (row of bones down the centre of your back), evolve (change their bodies over time to be able to fly), wing span (size of the wings).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you visit museums?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.