Billionaire Helps Students – level 1
Almost 400 college students are graduating. A billionaire gives them a gift. He says that he is going to pay off their student loans.
People are shocked. One student thinks that the billionaire is lying. The president of the college says that this is the first time that he sees something like this.
The billionaire is going to give the students $40 million. Each student has a student loan of around $48,000. In the USA, many college students have student loans. Last year, the student loans are about $1.5 trillion in the USA.
Difficult words: college (a school like a university), graduate (finish school and get the diploma), student loan (money that you borrow to go to college, but you must pay it back when you start working).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.