Billionaire Helps Students – level 2
A billionaire investor gave almost 400 graduating college seniors a gift to pay off their student loans. He gave this gift during his 2019 speech at the college.
His news shocked the crowd. One graduate thought that he was lying. The college president said that he had never before seen a gift like this.
A representative said that the investor will give $40 million to help pay off the student loans. Each student has a loan of about $48,000.
For most colleges and universities across the USA, analysts think that student loan debt was about $1.5 trillion last year.
Difficult words: investor (a person who invests or spends money in different businesses and then earns money from those businesses), student loan (money that you borrow to go to college or university), student loan debt (the money that you have to pay back after you finish the school).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.