Bionic arm – level 1
A bionic arm is not a real arm. It is mechanical. It works almost as well as a real arm. It changes a person’s life. A person does not need so much help from other people if he has this arm. He can play games or ride a bike. He can tie his shoes.
Campbel Arid gets his bionic arm in 1998. He is the first person in the world who gets it. His arm weighs 1.8 kilograms. It uses a battery.
Now the technology is changing very quickly. Today’s bionic arm reads signals from a person’s muscles. Scientists believe that the technology will change soon. New technology will read a person’s mind.
Difficult words: mechanical (something that looks like or works with help of a machine), signal (an action or sound which shows that something exists, or it gives information about something), muscle (a part of a body which helps somebody move).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos